Sunday, March 28, 2010

Artist Entry: Patrick O'Hare

Patrick O'Hare is an admirable photographer who's imagery focuses around disturbed landscapes. The land is in a state of upset primarily due to human interference. He has three series displayed on his website which are Slipstream, Learning to Vanish, and The Silence Between Stations. In all three, I can see similarities between our concepts however he has somehow managed to capture it in multiple images in various locations which vary in subjects...all the while, maintaining the concept. I admire this because I feel like if I veer off too much from my methodology then my concept will be lost. I think that O'Hare is an excellent example of successfully doing so.

Furthermore, in a statement about his series Slipstream, O'Hare uses the word impermanence, which is one word that was in my statement/defined last week. In regards to his work, I think it fits more so than it does with mine. Anyway, in his book featuring Slipstream, he says:

"Slipstream is a personal exploration of ravaged landscape glossed over and sealed by perpetual development and at the same time, more vulnerable than ever to man made and natural upheavals. It Visually lays open a culture of impermanence, architecture of the fleeting and the sense of a rootless world that could easily be swept away. [...] The physical effects of these forces can be seen on most any street, highway, or mall. Our lives are played out against these backdrops as well as quiet hope and desperation. But it is here also, in the everyday, where mystery still resides and the ruins of our civilization still haunt us. My goal is to photograph the silent truths of an uncertain age: those places on the edge of a frayed world."





0 comments:

Post a Comment