Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Idea Blog (3-31-10): Expansion

I am a little worried about my project. I like it just fine, but I am beginning to worry that after seeing a couple images, the audience will be like, "Okay, cool..." and move on. With the amount of time I spend on one image, I want the audience to care, you know? So I am thinking about testing out a couple more images of "dead environments" while I continue to shoot the trees. I think it'll either point me in a good direction or make me feel more confident in my work. The Anderson Gallery didn't accept the piece and while I (honestly) do not care because showing in galleries isn't really my goal, it made me wonder if perhaps the curator didn't get it. Do I need to set up my photographs in a certain way? or can they stand on their own?

Whenever I drive to school, I park about half way between my house and class. Along the way, I always see this little environment. It used to be a metal pipe that led up to who knows what...but now there are little sprouts of grass coming out. It makes me smile for some reason...I think because my project is portraying the vulnerability of nature to man but that little ecosystem shows nature "stickin' it to the man."

I need to photograph...I've been so busy with extracurriculars and failing geology (HOW IRONIC!) that I've started to loose focus on photo. But on the bright-side, my magazine won 2nd place for Best Student Magazine out of 5 states!

Google image for "little ecosystems" which is almost EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Also, "Plants are taking over" -- a Tumblr blog that I follow.
(artist Pete Dungey)

0 comments:

Post a Comment