Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Idea Blog (3-23-10): Reworking Artist Statement

In my meeting today, Paul had suggested that I read over my artist statement and pull five words that I think must stay in my final statement. Since I haven't given much thought to my statement and had primarily been focusing on the concept, the only statement I have is one I made at the beginning of the fall semester. Look at the statement now, it generally applies to what I'm doing in the sense it discusses nature but otherwise, I'm not sure it says much. But, since its all I have so far:

Sara D’Eugenio is a photographic based artist who works closely with nature to highlight its mystery. Her drive for making art is nature’s surreal beauty and decades when life was less stressful. She often hand makes lens filters that distort or emphasize her subjects, incorporating parts of our natural environment into her final product. In a world that is obsessed with tearing down the old and erecting the new, she works to defy that and show her viewers that the past is something to be remembered and honored through nostalgic imagery. Every aspect of her physical work and the subjects within her work are impermanent.

These words are very, very broad, so I am defining them in relation to my project. Definitions via online dictionary.

1. nature: the material world, esp. as surrounding humankind and existing independently of human activities; the natural world as it exists without human beings or civilization; a simple, uncluttered mode of life without the conveniences or distractions of civilization. I am really interested in the words "independently of human" and "uncluttered mode" from this definition.

2. life: he condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally; a biography. From this definition, I am really interested in "biography" and "adaptation to environment."

3. environment: the aggregate of surrounding things, conditions, or influences; surroundings; milieu; the air, water, minerals, organisms, and all other external factors surrounding and affecting a given organism at any time. From this definition, I think its important to focus on "external factors" and "influences."

4. remembered: to bear (a person) in mind as deserving a gift, reward, or fee; to retain in the memory; keep in mind; remain aware of. Words: "deserving" and "retain."

5. impermanent: not permanent or enduring; transitory. <>

From here, I am going to try to do this exercise again from the words I pulled from the definitions to get a more specific idea. Also, I know what I want to say, I just have to actually write it down and record it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment