Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Idea Blog (3-3-10): Presentation Tools

I am currently working on my methodology for producing my photographs. I have my concept down and a pretty good understanding of how I plan to present them, but one thing is really lacking: flawless imagery.

I am growing more and more frustrated with the process because I spend time mapping out the stump and then I go home and assemble the image only to find out one portion of the image is out of focus. I am thinking about incorporating a new way of mapping out the images.

1. Set up tripod.
2. Use painters tape to divide the stump into multiple sections.
3. Focus & adjust positioning.

Right now I am hand-holding the camera and mapping out the stump within the viewfinder. I've noticed that this way also seems to distort the image in some cases.

As far as the physical presentation, I am leaning more towards the idea of collecting the "dust" and creating piles in front of the imagery. I was thinking on a pedestal but I kind of like the idea of it being on the floor. I have this drawn out but unfortunately, with the digital switch over, our internet got lost in the mix so I am having to post from my work office instead of home. As soon as I can get an image uploaded, I will update the blog! Also, I think that with the dust on the floor right under the image, it will be more of a visual impact and seem almost as if the photograph melted right onto the floor in the gallery.

I was fortunate enough to experience Young Kim's work at 1708 in Richmond, Virginia a few years ago. His imagery, which I included below, was placed on the floor. It made me really nervous because I was so afraid someone would step on it or fall onto them, but the presentation also heightened your awareness. The audience was more careful and the images felt more precious. These are two elements (caution and preciousness) I'd like my audience to feel towards nature.


Young Kim's "Salt & Earth"

Copyright to respective owners. I did not take these photos, they were found through a Google search.

0 comments:

Post a Comment