Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Idea Entry: In the News (04-07-10)

I am currently researching local news involved and interested in the tree removals. I feel like if I discuss this project more with people, I will not be so uninformed as to whether or not this is actually a problem. Regardless of what information I receive, its something I still want to illustrate in my project...I just don't want to be saying "Richmond removes all these trees! They are evil!" when that's not the case.

Information/Organizations
1. Richmond Tree Stewards: http://treestewards.rrpfoundation.org/index.html

2. I want to photograph this tree upon its removal, due to all the fuss around it being removed. Read the article here: Out-of-control Elm splits fan, council

3. Going down Cary Street just before Harrison Street, there were trees (that looked healthy) littered with signs marking their removal. I found this article which highlights the plans for (expensive) restoration and that their removal was due to human failure to prune them properly. New Trees to be Planted on West Cary

4. Though its an older article (two years old), it highlights a variety of viewpoints. Trees are beneficial economically v. we need take care of them so removal isn't necessary. Two Richmond Residents...

Quotes
From New Trees...
"
'We want to plant the right tree in the right place,' said DPW Director Dexter White. 'We want to enhance the appearance of West Cary Street, but at the same time make certain the trees we put in will not come in contact with the power lines.'"

From Two Richmond Residents...

"'There needs to be a plan for preserving our green infrastructure instead of cutting it down one tree at a time,' Kuhn said. Some residents have long contended that the city is too quick to cut valuable trees after marking them as hazards. Kuhn is stepping into the battle for the first time."

0 comments:

Post a Comment